The Dishoom take on the legendary Irani Café special, with cranberries. This chicken biryani is a delicious, fragrant rice dish packed with spiced, well-marinated chicken pieces and cranberries.
Prep time: 30 minutes, plus 3-hour marinating time
Cooking time: 1 hour
1. Fry the sliced onions in hot oil until they turn a deep russet brown. Drain on kitchen paper and leave to cool.
2.Combine three-quarters of the onions with the garlic, ginger, chilli (or paprika), cumin, garam masala, lime juice, yogurt, 50g barberries (or cranberries), six tablespoons of chopped coriander, six tablespoons of mint and the green chilli. Add the chicken thighs, mix well, then cover with clingfilm and leave to marinate for at least two hours.
3. Soak the rice in cold water for 10 minutes. Drain, then add the grains to a large pan of boiling water and cook until the rice is half-cooked – about 5-6 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven to 170C/150C Fan/Gas 3. Heat the cream on the hob in a pan, stir in the saffron, and leave on one side for 10 minutes.
5. Warm the chicken on the hob with all its spiced marinade, and simmer with the lid on for about 3-4 minutes.
6. Put half the hot chicken and its masala at the bottom of a heavy casserole and cover with half the hot rice. Repeat with another layer of remaining chicken and rice. Drizzle over the saffron cream, then seal the pan with foil and cover with a tight-fitting lid.
7. Transfer the biryani to the oven for about 45-50 minutes, after which the chicken should be tender and the rice fully cooked.
8. Remove the lid and scatter with the remaining mint, coriander, fried onions, and berries.
Get in Touch
Gain access to our free Ultimate Motivation Guide and sign-up to our newsletter!
6:30AM - 8:30PM Monday - Friday
7:00am - 2:00 PM Saturday
How To Find Us
Unit 1, Frogmarsh Mill, South Woodchester,
Stroud GL5 5ET, United Kingdom
Phone: 01453 873811
Personal Trainer Website Design by
My Personal Trainer Website