On Saturday 9th and Sunday 10th November, (10am - 3pm both days), we will be holding a pre-loved designer and quality clothing and accessory sale to help raise money for Stroud Women’s refuge. Follow this link to view the products!
Stroud Women’s refuge is the ONLY remaining refuge in Gloucestershire, as all the others were closed when the government withdrew funding in 2015. The refuge helps over 300 women and children every year and has 9 women and 14 children resident at any time. The average stay is 12 weeks. The refuge needs £ 250,000 a year just to survive. They are therefore completely dependent on the goodwill and generosity of the community.
UK National Statistics:
- 2 or 3 women are murdered EVERY week - in their own homes
- 26% of women over 16 experience domestic abuse/violence
- 750,000 children witness domestic abuse in their own homes every year - leading to trauma and child protection issues
- About one in seven children have been exposed to domestic abuse before the age of 18
- Cases of domestic abuse/violence are reported to the police EVERY MINUTE
- 400 women are turned away from Women's Refuges EVERY WEEK