In the era of #MeToo and the Women’s Marches, domestic abuse is on the agenda and yet remains the crime hiding in plain sight in our communities. No respecter of age, race, class or circumstances, domestic abuse flourishes through silence, embarrassment and shame.
- 1 in 4 women experience domestic abuse/violence.
- Between 2 and 3 women are murdered EVERY WEEK in their own homes.
- 750,000 children witness domestic violence every year – leading to their own trauma.
- Stroud Women’s Refuge is the ONLY women’s refuge remaining in Gloucestershire.
- It costs £250,000 a year to run Stroud Women’s Refuge.